Yesterday a friend asked me a question: How does one build self-worth?
I had to give it some serious thought before coming up with an answer, as I couldn’t recall ever being asked such a question before.
Here’s what I think is the answer to his question:
- Practice self-compassion: Be kind to yourself and practice self-care. Recognise that you are not perfect and that it is okay to make mistakes. Forgive yourself more often
- Identify and challenge negative self-talk: Notice when you are speaking negatively to yourself, and try to reframe those thoughts in a positive way. For example, instead of thinking “I can’t do this,” try “I may not know how to do this yet, but I am capable of learning.”
- Set goals and work towards them: Setting achievable goals and working towards them can help you feel more confident and accomplished. I find that always achieving goals [however small, always boost your self-worth
- Develop a positive self-image: Focus on your strengths and talents, and celebrate your accomplishments. Focus on doing things that you are good at.
- Surround yourself with positive influences: Spend time with people who uplift and support you, and avoid people who bring you down. You are the sum total of the people you hang around with
- Practice self-reflection: Take time to reflect on your values and priorities, and make sure that your actions are aligned with them. I do meditation in the morning and it helps me to control my emotions.
- Read and write a lot [personally and blogging]: I read a lot, and books give me a perspective on life. I realise that not everyone is inclined towards books. Blogging keeps me sane, writing is therapy.
- Spirituality: God is a BIG deal for me, prayer saved my life and continues to save my life even now
What I leaving behind, please feel free to add in the comment section below.
Ps: Thanks for the question Nims 🙂