Given how crucial defaults are to decision making, it’s helpful to ask, “What’s my default?”
For instance, we can choose to:
– Trust or to doubt.
– Talk a lot or listen a lot.
– Take responsibility or make excuses.
– Read a non-fiction book or scroll further down our Facebook feed.
– Ask the hard question or stay silent.
– Always look for fault or be solution minded.
– Acknowledge mistakes and learn from them or pretend they didn’t happen.
– Observe or judge.
– Save or spend.
– Respond with fantastic attitude or be defensive and prickly.
– Love or hate.
– Exercise or watch TV.
– Care or be ambivalent.
Our activities are inclined to follow our default setting, no matter what we decide.
It is on us to choose wisely.