Yesterday, 49 years ago [24 March 1972], “The Godfather” made all of us an offer we could not refuse.
Released on March 24, 49 years ago, this classic mob movie based on Mario Puzo’s novel: The Godfather and directed by Francis Ford Coppola was the highest-grossing film of 1972.
I have lost count of many times I have read the novel and the many times I have watched the movie.
The book is very good and the movie is remarkable.
Marlon Brando wanted to make Don Corleone look like a bulldog, so he stuffed his cheeks with cotton wool for the audition. For the actual filming, he wore a mouthpiece made by a dentist.
Some of my 10 favourite quotes from the movie:
- “Never tell anybody outside the family what you are thinking.”
- “A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.”
- “Fredo, you’re my older brother, and I love you. But don’t ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever.”
- “You father did business with Hyman Roth, he respected Hyman Roth… but he never trusted Hyman Roth.”
- “Do you know how naive you sound, Michael? Presidents and senators don’t have men killed… Oh. Who’s being naive, Kay?”
- “I trust these men with my life, Senator. To ask them to leave would be an insult.”
- “Mr. Corleone never asks a second favour once he is refused the first, understood?”
- “We’re not taking a picture without Michael.”
- “Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me.”
- “My father taught me many things here – he taught me in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.”
- Bonus: “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”
Yes Godfather part 3 is not the same as 1 and 2, but I think it equally good in its own unique way 🙂
The Godfather soundtrack is as classic as the movie.